Maharagwe | Beans in Coconut Milk
Serves 4. Total Time 45 Minutes
- 2 medium frying pans (1 for the main dish & 1 for the protein)
- 1 small frying pan (for the fried bananas)
- 2 pots & lids (1 for the veggie side dish & 1 for rice or couscous
- 2 cutting boards (1 for veggies & 1 for protein)
- 2 knives (always handle with an adult)
- Measuring cups & spoons
- 2 stirring spoons
- 1 colander
- Salt & pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 3 large tomatoes (fresh or canned-enough for 2 cups)
- 1 bunch of fresh cilantro
- Your choice of a fresh veggie for a side dish.
- 1 can of pinto beans
- 1 can of unsweetened coconut milk, not coconut cream
- Coconut oil, 3 tbsp
- 1-2 cups of couscous or your favorite kind of rice
- Brown sugar, 1 tbsp
- 1 tbsp turmeric, 1 tsp garlic powder, 4 cardamom pods or 1 tsp ground, 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- *Protein (optional)- 1 poundof shrimp, fish, tofu or chicken
1. Always wash your hands first!
2. Wash the cilantro & tomatoes (if you’re using fresh ones).
3. Peel the onion & dice it into small pieces.
4. Chop 2 cups of tomatoes or open the can.
5. Rinse the can of pinto beans in a colander.
6. Pluck the leaves off of the cilantro stems & chop the leaves, just enough for 1/2 cup.
7. Shake then open the can of coconut milk.
8. Cut your choice of protein into bite size pieces (or skip this step if vegan/vegetarian).
9. Prepare your veggie as you would like for the side dish.
1. Prepare rice or couscous as directed on the package.
2. Add 2 tbsp of coconut oil & diced onions to the frying pan. Sauté the onions on medium heat until they’re clear (about 5-7 minutes).
3. Add 1 tsp turmeric, 1 tsp garlic powder, 4 cracked cardamom pods, 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg, 2 cups of tomatoes, can of coconut milk & rinsed pinto beans to the cooked onions. Add 1 tsp salt & 1 tsp pepper. Stir well.
4. Cook the protein separately, however you prefer to make it (or skip this step). Set aside.
5. Add the protein to the stew (or skip this step).
6. Add the chopped cilantro leaves & simmer (cook on low heat) for 10-15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
7. Cook your choice of vegetable for a side dish.
8. Serve Maharagwe over rice or couscous.
9. Enjoy your meal, *Furahia Moo Wake!