Khoresh gheimeh (stew) bademjan (Eggplant) has been my favorite Persian dish ever since I was a little kid. It was always my birthday dinner request. I wish I would have learned to make it as a kid, but my mom’s cooking is impossible to beat.
Over the last few years, I’ve watched different people prepare the dish in their own way. Some use saffron to flavor the stew, others make it a tad bit spicy with red pepper. I love how different the dish turns out every time I have it and make it.
This classic Iranian dish invigorates the tastes buds with sweet, tangy and savory flavors. The combination of spices and ingredients are truly unique and unlike any other cuisine. Tomatoes, dried lime, cinnamon & turmeric are all flavors one would never expect to blend so well together.
This recipe is versatile for any diet- Make it vegan or with stew beef. This recipe I’ve come up is an adapted vegan version that can be made in less than an hour. If you have more time, you can simmer the stew for a few hours or even prepare on low in a crockpot overnight.
You can find dried limes in either whole or powder form. I prefer Sadaf brand, but Amazon has other options available.
- 1 medium Eggplant
- 1 sweet onion
- 1-2 cups of French fries or 1 large fry from the closest drive thru 🙂
- 1 cup of yellow split peas
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- 1 dried lime or 1 tbsp lime powder
- 1 tbsp tumeric
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
1. Turn oven to 400. Peel and slice Eggplant into long strips. Place on baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and a bit of salt. Roast for 20-30 minutes or until soft.
2. Bake French fries as directed on the package. Set aside.
3. Rinse yellow split peas and cook in boiling water until tender. Skim off foam on top as it appears in the pot.
4. On medium heat in a large frying pan, sauté thinly sliced onions with olive oil until translucent. Add tomato paste and water. Stir in spices and mix well.
5. Once the yellow split peas are tender and eggplant is cooked, add them to the frying pan and simmer stew for 10 minutes. Remove whole lime is applicable.
6. Cook basmati rice as directed on the package.
7. Top the khoresh gheimeh bademjan with crispy french fries and serve over hot basmati rice.
Nooshe Jaan- Enjoy your meal!